Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wolverine

I watched the Wolverine movie this weekend. I liked it, it was fast paced and exciting, but I just don't get the big deal about it. I understand that some people are very interested in comic books, but that gene passed me by. However, I do appreciate the cinematic spectacular that this movie was. Watching this movie, I did not know much of Wolverines history. All I really knew was that he was a cranky X-Man that rescued that young girl that couldn't touch people. And honestly, I think the movie was a bit generic. I think this movie was supposed to give insight into his origin and why he got so cranky. He had family problems, love lost, and was just angry to begin with. 


I tried, I really did to get as excited about this movie as other people are, but it just wasn't there for me. I have family issues, I have loved and lost, and I get in a bad mood, and yes, I will admit that it would be nice to grow out knives from my hands and go to town on the people who pissed me off, but I don't get to do that. How do people relate to this guy? He is hailed as a hero, but is he? He doesn't solve anything by killing or maiming people, that's an easy way out. In reality a hero would solve his inner demons instead of acting out violently to people who are unlucky enough to cross paths with him on the wrong day. 


I can appreciate that he has the desire to be a good guy, but just because you kill bad guys doesn't make you good. I just don't think that the Wolverine is all that interesting. He struggles with the classic man vs. self internally and man vs. foe externally. With all the possibilities that a comic book character has, could he not become something a little bit more exciting than that?


I will admit that Wolverine the character is pretty awesome. he has ripped abs, mutton chops and the ability to make everything behind him explode. Since this assignment is to respond to the movie in some way, my response is boooo. His story is diluted and he is cranky without a cause. A friend who went with me to the movie was a very dedicated X-Man fan, and he said that he was disappointed with Wolverine and the movie as well. I do relate to the part where Wolverine is in Canada and his former war buddy comes and takes his brother. One time my sister went out with a guy that I broke up with the previous week. If I had knife fingers, I would have used them. 


I think was a total guy movie, and I just couldn't pull a piece of the movie to really relate too. 


Although- my favorite part of the movie is the naked scene. Hugh Jackman nude with mutton chops was worth the 10 bucks.

1 comment:

  1. The man vs. self idea comes across a lot better in several of the comic book storylines and was poorly diluted in this movie.

    Hopefully the writers, producers, and director will pull their shit together for the sequel, in which we'll hopefully see "Logan" temper his animalistic urges with the training of a samurai. Assuming the sequel prequel follows any of the storylines of the comics.

    ReplyDelete